In an age of cybersecurity concerns and data breaches, backups and encryption are more important than ever. Should the worst scenario arise, companies with strategic data protection plans can take comfort in knowing that their information remains secure and completely accessible.
At NerdsToGo, we're proud to offer a range of custom backup and managed IT services. Below, we explain why these services are important and how they can best be harnessed to improve security and peace of mind.
Why Are Cloud Backup and Data Encryption Necessary?
Today's businesses thrive on data. No matter the industry or the scope of the business, enterprises must be able to access essential data at all times. Compromised information can lead to downtime, ransomware attacks, and a whole host of other issues that threaten to destroy otherwise thriving businesses. The following are among the most compelling arguments for investing in cloud backup and data encryption:
- Protecting a Mobile Workforce – Today's employees are constantly on the go. This mobile environment provides plenty of benefits, but it can dramatically increase security challenges. Because encryption protects both stationary information and data on the move, it is an ideal method for securing devices as they travel from one location to the next.
- Preventing Ransomware Attacks – Ransomware attacks are on the rise – especially among small and midsize businesses. These attacks prevent victims from obtaining access to critical data. Returned access is promised once a ransom is paid, but often, this ransom is well out of reach for small businesses –and paying it does not prevent attackers from striking in the future. Businesses with comprehensive backup strategies are far less vulnerable to such attacks, as their data remains secure and out of reach.
- Minimizing Downtime – Any amount of downtime is devastating. Data backups allow businesses to access critical data quickly, thereby ensuring that they return to full function following attacks or other problematic circumstances. While an effective security plan will ideally prevent breaches from occurring in the first place, it's always wise to operate under the assumption that, at some point, backed up data will be necessary to get important functions up and running.
What Are the Types of Data Backup?
A variety of data backup solutions are available, but no one approach is ideal in every situation. The following are among the most common backup approaches:
- Full Backup – As its name implies, a full backup addresses the broad range of files a business holds. Under this approach, all stored files are backed up in their entirety. Typically, this approach is used purely for initial backups, with an alternative put in place for maintenance efforts. Periodic full backups may also occur on a monthly or quarterly basis. Bandwidth and storage requirements can be significant for this approach, prompting many businesses to pursue alternatives.
- Incremental Backup – The only files backed up under an incremental method are those that have changed since the last backup effort. This streamlined approach can be completed quickly and more often than full backups. Incremental solutions also allow for the retention of many versions of key files. In the event of recovery, however, all increments must be restored. Likewise, restoring a specific file can prove difficult, as multiple sets must be searched.
- Differential Backup – This type of backup is cumulative in nature. This method only backs up the files that have changed since the last full backup – not the last incremental one. This approach can significantly reduce restoration time.
Not all enterprises require full backups at all times, nor do all hold the storage and bandwidth necessary to accommodate such extensive methods. So, ultimately, your backup approach should be tailored to fit your company's situation.
Ready to arm your business with the comprehensive data security services it needs? Don't hesitate to ask our Nerds for help. At NerdsToGo, we offer a range of cloud backup and data encryption services designed to keep sensitive information safe and secure. We also offer custom IT solutions designed to meet your company's unique needs. Our affordable managed IT services are well-suited for enterprises looking to bolster and streamline security protocol. Contact us today to learn more about our small business data backup services.