A computer is an important and costly investment that most people don’t take lightly. Like many individuals who rely on their Mac, laptop, or desktop for deadline-based work assignments or important home projects, you certainly want to find ways to extend the life of your device. By investing in high-quality peripherals like expanded memory, faster solid-state drives, and replacement monitors, you are taking steps to keep your device running smoothly for as long as possible.
In addition to choosing the best hardware, it’s also essential to find reliable in-home computer repair services to assist you when problems arise. A knowledgeable computer service can provide you with valuable solutions, such as a monthly service plan, that can help you maximize your devices.
Best Practices for Computer Care & Maintenance
The best way to protect your computer or laptop is to stay mindful of what it takes to keep it running optimally at all times. Therefore, you must think ahead and take preventive measures – even if your device shows no sign of issues.
At NerdsToGo, we recommend taking the following steps to keep your computer or laptop in optimal condition:
1. Keep Your Computer Clean
Life for your computer is sometimes messy, no matter how clean you keep your home. Here are just a few ways your device can become dirty:
- Air and dust particles swirl throughout the room and flock to the warmth of your machine.
- You may occasionally drop a crumb from a small snack while working.
- If you have pets, fur may work its way inside your device.
- Oil residue from our fingers builds up over time and can wear away keyboard lettering.
If you leave your machine covered with dirt, dust, and oils, they can damage the hardware inside your PC or laptop by putting more heat and stress on the internal components. This situation can diminish performance and may eventually cause your computer to break down completely.
Luckily, keeping your computer clean is easy when you follow these simple steps:
- Dust your computer’s exterior regularly to remove particles that settle on the surface.
- Avoid snacking at your computer, as food residue may stay on your fingers, even if you don’t drop any crumbs.
- Use a keyboard cover to keep foreign matter from working its way inside your computer.
2. Invest in a Monthly Service Plan for Peak Maintenance
When you invest in a monthly service plan, it’s like having your own IT team ready to help you with any issues that arise. Do you know when you last upgraded your security software? Have you installed the latest security patches? With a service plan, our trusted team of Nerds will keep track of all the details of your computer to keep it in pitch-perfect shape.
Whether you are a freelance worker or simply need access to regular IT help at home, NerdsToGo is here to provide a variety of valuable computer services through our monthly plans. Our offerings include:
- Regular device upgrades for optimal performance.
- Installation of security patches.
- Data backup services to avoid loss of data due to theft, natural disasters, or data breaches.
- Data recovery services in case you experience a disruption that compromises your files.
- Regular assessments of current software and hardware, along with suggestions for upgrades that would assist in your professional efforts.
- Regular scans and removal of viruses and malware.
3. Schedule Periodic Computer Tune-ups
Just like you regularly service your car, your home computer needs frequent attention to ensure it runs well. Scheduling routine tune-ups can extend the life of your PC or laptop. You can adjust your maintenance frequency based on your usage habits and individual needs, but its recommended to have your system evaluated at least twice per year. That way, you can identify and address small issues before they become widespread problems.
When you schedule a tune-up with a computer repair company, they’ll likely conduct the following services:
- Repairing USB Ports
- Screen Repair or Replacement
- Addressing Dents and Other Physical Damage
- Spyware Removal
- Upgrading to A Solid-State Drive
- Adding More RAM
- Cleaning the Computer
- Assessing Computer Speed
By regularly tuning up your computer, you can keep it running smoothly and ultimately extend its life to avoid work disruptions and added expenses.
Do You Need More Ideas and Assistance to Keep Your Computer or Laptop in Optimal Shape? Call NerdsToGo!
The NerdsToGo team can provide you with best practice tips, tune-ups, on-call service, and monthly residential service plans to keep your home computing system running at peak performance for years to come.
Contact us today to learn more about how our services can extend the life of your computer or laptop!