For a small to medium-sized business, there’s nothing scarier than the threat of a cyber-attack. Today’s hackers are increasingly targeting smaller companies because their networks are often easier to infiltrate. Many small businesses lack advanced security features, and few may be paying attention to the latest threats. Unfortunately, these attacks come at a high cost, and nearly 60 percent of affected businesses go out of business within a year.
People outside of the tech industry often view cybercriminals as all-knowing and difficult to avoid. However, the truth is that most hackers gain access to your system through gaps in your security protocols.
The good news? By educating yourself on the latest cyber threats and investing in high-quality small business IT services, you can reduce your risk of falling victim to an attack.
Business Cybersecurity Services to Keep Your Data Safe
The first thing you’ll need to do is assess your business’s current cybersecurity practices. At NerdsToGo, we offer a free cyber risk assessment to help you identify weak spots in your system. This gives you a good indication of what protocols you should establish and how much education your team will need.
Armed with this information, we’ll recommend one or more of the following practices and services that you can use to make sure your system is bullet-proof.
- Remote Monitoring – With remote monitoring services, your system will be monitored by an expert IT technician at all times. That way, you can stop potential threats before they spiral out of control. This also allows you to address cyber-attacks quickly and minimize the amount of damage.
- Virus & Malware Protection Software – Using the best cybersecurity software possible is essential for protecting your system from advanced threats. While free solutions are often suitable for personal use, they are not effective enough to handle the dangers that small businesses might face. Keep in mind that it’s not enough to simply install this software and let it run in the background. You must also update it frequently to ensure you are getting the most out of your investment. Plus, many updates also include advanced security patches that can further enhance the effectiveness of your software.
- Use a Secure Business Firewall Router – Firewalls act as a filter for incoming and outgoing traffic on your network. This security feature regulates access to your system and is essential for keeping hackers, viruses, and other cyber threats out.
- Remote Threat Assessment – This service allows technicians to access your system and determine whether there’s an issue without having to travel to your location. Remote threat assessments save a lot of time, which is crucial when you’re dealing with a potential cybersecurity issue.
- Regularly Scheduled Backups – Backing up your system is a simple way to ensure your data remains secure. When you have a recent copy of all of your files on hand, you’ll have far less to lose in the event of an attack.
While it’s important to invest in the proper software and IT solutions, education is also crucial for data security. Your employees should have access to updated information on the latest threats and best practices to keep your system safe. This should include a clear technology protocol that is enforced throughout your entire company.
Here are some key elements that should be included in your security protocol:
- Password Protection – All systems and devices must be protected with unique, complex passwords. These should consist of a mixture of numbers, letters, and special characters.
- Personal Device Rules – While many companies allow their employees to use personal devices for work, this could leave you open to cyber threats. Therefore, it’s a good idea to enforce security practices outside of the office, as well.
- Regulate Network Usage – Today’s workers are always on-the-go, and many complete their work from remote locations. Unfortunately, this can increase your risk for cyber-attacks, as many public networks are unsecure. To ensure your data remains safe from hackers, it’s best to regulate which networks employees are allowed to log into for work-related tasks.
Steps to Follow if You’ve Been Hacked
Sometimes even the most comprehensive protocols won’t protect you from everything. Hackers are constantly on the hunt for new access points and tactics to compromise your data.
If you’ve been the victim of a cyber-attack or find that your data has been compromised, stay calm. It’s important that you don’t react in a panic, as this often leads to mistakes. First, you must assess the situation, determining the scope of the attack and what information was accessed. Then, you must develop a plan to regain control of your system and mitigate any damage. It’s best to have a response procedure in place ahead of time, so you can jump into action as quickly as possible.
If you don’t have an existing emergency plan and aren’t sure how severe the attack is, seek help from an experienced IT company. At NerdsToGo, we offer data backup and recovery services to help companies rebound quickly from any threat. We can assess your whole system, determine what data has been compromised, and help you get your business back up and running promptly.
Looking for High-Quality Small Business IT Services in Charlotte, NC?
In today’s digital age, threats are everywhere. That’s why it’s important to have a team of trusted IT experts in your corner at all times. If you’re looking for effective business IT solutions, NerdsToGo can help. Our knowledgeable staff can assess your business needs and develop customized solutions to keep your data safe.
For more information about our affordable IT solutions, contact us today!