Today, many of us rely on our smartphones to communicate, work, and play. Therefore, it can be quite alarming when they begin to act strangely – especially if you can’t get your phone to turn on at all.
One of the most concerning issues to plague smartphone users is a black screen, often referred to as the “black screen of death.” However, despite the harsh name, this issue can be remedied in several ways.
So, if your phone’s screen has suddenly turned off for no reason, don’t panic – simply follow these four tips.
1. Try a Hard Reset
To fix a black screen on an iPhone or Android, the first (and easiest) step is to do a hard reset. This basically entails rebooting the phone’s software. A hard reset can be performed right on your phone, although the process differs depending on what type of device you own.
If you’re wondering how to do a hard reset on an iPhone or Android, follow these steps:
- Press the home and the power buttons simultaneously for 10 seconds.
- As soon as you’ve released, press down on the power button to see if it turns back on.
iPhone (Version 8 and Later)
- Press and release the volume up button.
- Press and release the volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button (also known as the sleep/wake button) until the Apple logo appears.
iPhone (Version 7)
- Press and hold the side button and the volume down button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
iPhone (Version 6s and Earlier)
- Press and hold the side button and the home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.
2. Check the LCD Cable
If you’re still staring at a blank screen, it’s possible that the cable connecting the logic board to the LCD screen has become disconnected. This can occur if you accidentally drop your phone a few times. In order to regain your screen’s functionality, the cable will need to be plugged back in.
If you want to repair a broken iPhone or Android this way, it’s best to seek help from a professional. While you may find DIY instructions online, you could risk causing irreparable damage to your device if you don’t know what you’re doing. So, if you suspect that your phone’s LCD cable is disconnected, search for a place in Las Vegas that fixes phones.
3. Perform a Factory Reset
When your phone screen goes black randomly, it may be an indication that something is wrong with your operating system. In that case, a factory reset is often beneficial. During a factory reset, your device’s data and settings are completely wiped, returning the phone to its original state (i.e., the state it was in when you first purchased it).
Not sure how to do a factory reset on an iPhone or Android? The process is more involved than that of a hard reset but can still be done with moderate ease.
- Back up your device to iCloud or your computer. This ensures you don’t lose any important data during the reset.
- Open the settings
- Select general from the menu.
- Click the reset button at the bottom of the page.
- Click erase all content and settings. A window will pop up, allowing you to confirm your decision.
Keep in mind that this process takes longer than a simple hard reset – you may have to wait several minutes for your phone to restart. Once the process is complete, check to make sure the device has been restored to its factory settings. If you’re presented with the iOS Setup Assistant upon startup, you’ll know the reset was successful. From there, you can choose to restore your backed-up data.
- Back up your device to Google Drive or your PC.
- Open your phone’s settings
- Select system > advanced > reset options.
- Select erase all data (factory reset).
- Select reset phone. At this point, you may need to enter your PIN, password, or pattern.
- Select the erase everything
Once the reset is complete, you can set up your phone and restore your backed-up data.
If any of the above is confusing to you, seek the help of a professional. NerdsToGo phone repair company will be more than happy to assist you.
4. Take Your iPhone or Android to NerdsToGo
If you’re in need of smartphone repair, NerdsToGo can help. Our expert team understands the inner workings of a wide variety of devices. We’ll determine the root of the problem to get your phone up and running again as quickly as possible. And, if you don’t have time to visit our storefront for your repairs, we’ll come to you!
For more information about our smartphone repair services, or to schedule an appointment, contact us today.