Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) plays a significant role in modern business while also increasingly aiding our social efforts. This technology has proven especially important in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, as it allows for more reliable and flexible study-from-home and work-from-home arrangements.
Under this approach, phone calls can easily be placed on an internet connection. Users enjoy exceptional mobility, as well as better voice quality and the ability to multitask. VoIP is also a uniquely affordable system, making it that much more appealing to small companies facing budgetary constraints.
For many businesses and individuals, the key question is not whether to invest in VoIP, but rather, which provider should be trusted with this important service. After all, the benefits of VoIP can be greatly reduced if you are reliant on the wrong provider. Additionally, some VoIP companies may fail to address security concerns properly. As such, it’s important to examine your options in detail.
Below, we’ve outlined a few key factors to keep in mind as you move forward with VoIP.
What Is Fixed VoIP, and Is It Necessary?
Those interested in VoIP often struggle to understand the differences between various systems. Many ask: what does fixed VoIP mean? And what benefits does it provide over a non-fixed approach?
It all comes down to security. Non-fixed VoIP numbers may be easy to obtain, but this simplified system comes at a clear cost: susceptibility to fraudsters. Fixed VoIP tends to be safer because it involves a telephone number associated with a particular address. This dramatically reduces the potential for interference from scammers.
Despite the name, fixed VoIP numbers are highly portable. However, many people rely on them as replacements for traditional landlines. Should they move, these users can take their fixed VoIP numbers with them to enjoy some semblance of continuity in their changing lives.
Other Considerations for Selecting a VoIP Provider
Fixed VoIP is essential, but it is only one of several considerations that should go into VoIP provider selection. This decision could play a huge role in budgetary concerns, security, and general functionality. Current providers offer a wide variety of plans, so there really is something for everyone.
Here are some questions worth asking:
- Which services are included free with your subscription? Some providers offer a variety of bonuses free of charge, while others tack on fees. One approach isn’t necessarily preferable – it all comes down to which services you want and how much it will cost you to obtain them with various plans. Features worth looking into include voicemail, caller ID, and collaboration tools.
- How does your intended provider handle international calls? In general, international calls are far more affordable via VoIP than when using traditional landlines. Some VoIP services, however, are especially cost-effective. This consideration is important for businesses with global vendors or clients – or individuals with friends and family living all around the world.
- What do the terms and conditions include? VoIP plans can sometimes seem favorable until you get into the nitty-gritty of the terms and conditions. Common concerns found in the fine print include charges for late equipment returns, requirements regarding physical location registration, and termination or disconnect fees.
- Is the mobile app as reliable as the desktop service? Many people and businesses require VoIP for mobile functions. Unfortunately, the mobile apps offered through some providers are less than ideal. Select systems fail to provide options on both Android and iOS, while others simply suffer lower quality on mobile devices than with desktop softphones.
- How much support will I receive? Ideally, your VoIP service will be straightforward and reliable enough to minimize the need for assistance. Should questions arise, however, you’ll want to feel confident that the experts are only a click or call away. Support availability and quality varies dramatically between providers and can be one of the greatest distinguishing factors for those who otherwise struggle to make a selection.
A variety of VoIP providers deliver excellent service at an affordable rate. However, a little due diligence can ensure that you get the best deal while also enjoying the peace of mind that comes with obtaining fixed VoIP from a trusted provider. You’ll never regret doing your research to find the best blend of affordability, reliability, and security.
How NerdsToGo Can Help You Get Started with VoIP
Are you ready to take on VoIP service? Choosing the right provider can feel overwhelming, but you don’t need to handle this process on your own. NerdsToGo can get you started by showing you how to set up VoIP service with our partner. We’ll provide the guidance and feedback you require every step of the way.
Beyond VoIP, we provide a variety of other IT services to make your life more convenient and secure. We’re also pleased to offer remote service, including both phone and virtual tech support. For more information, contact us today!