Over the years, the verdict has remained unclear regarding whether you should clean your smartphone. In fact, Apple previously advised against the practice of sanitizing iPhones; however, as the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic unfolds, Apple and other major tech companies are changing their positions and offering advice on how to disinfect mobile phones.
Before Coronavirus emerged, research was conducted to determine the condition of well-used smartphones. One study, published in the GERMS Journal, examined the devices of 27 teens. The results were alarming – researchers found that the phones were hosting a variety of bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus, E. coli, and more.
According to Dr. Charles Gerba, a professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona, “Mobile phones are now mobile germ devices.” Users get germs on their hands, then pick up their smartphones. Even if they wash their hands later, the microbes remain on the device and can be picked up again. And, given that Americans check their phones once every 12 minutes on average, there are plenty of opportunities for germs to migrate from devices to users’ hands.
With all this in mind, the importance of sanitizing your smartphone is clear, especially during the Coronavirus pandemic. Below, we’re discussing everything you need to know about disinfecting your mobile phone.
Nerd-Approved Tips for Keeping Your Smartphone Clean
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently included smartphones in their list of “high touch surfaces,” which they encourage individuals to clean frequently to protect themselves against the Coronavirus. However, you may be concerned about damaging your phone during the sanitation process. To ensure you clean your device safely, use the following procedure:
- Power Down Your Mobile Phone – Any time you are working with your phone on a non-task related basis, it’s best to turn it off. This is especially important when you plan to use a solvent (even in wipe form), as it can prevent shock. While the likelihood of experiencing a shock is small, it’s best not to take chances.
- Take Your Phone Out of Its Protective Case – To thoroughly clean your mobile phone, it’s best to remove it from its case. However, when doing this, take extra care not to drop or otherwise damage the device.
- Remove Dust Particles with a Microfiber Cloth – Use a lint-free cloth to wipe down your device completely. Microfiber fabrics prevent scratches on your screen while removing dirt and smudges.
- Gently Wipe the Screen with Lysol, Clorox, or Special Disinfecting Wipes – Clean your device thoroughly with a solvent, such as a Lysol or Clorox wipe. Just be sure to avoid any ports, such as the charging port or headphone jack.
- Allow the Device to Air Dry for Five Minutes – Disinfectants like Lysol and Clorox do much of their work as they dry on the item’s surface, so it’s best to let your phone sit for at least five minutes after wiping it.
- Wipe Away Remaining Moisture – Use a clean paper towel or another microfiber cloth to remove excess moisture.
- Clean Your Phone Case – You don’t want to do all that hard work on your phone, only to put it back in a dirty case. So, repeat the same process on your phone’s casing. However, if your case is made of hard, durable plastic, it’s best to use a more powerful cleaner, such as an alcohol wipe. If it’s a softer material, clean it according to recommended manufacturer instructions.
Keep Your Mobile Phone in Peak Condition with Help from an Expert Computer Repair Company
NerdsToGo is here to help residents keep their iPhones, Androids, and other devices sanitized and safe for regular use. Our certified Nerds know how to clean mobile phones without causing any damage to the device and can provide several best practices you can follow at home. Plus, if you do notice any issues with your smartphone, such as an unresponsive screen or poor battery performance, our team can assess, diagnose, and remedy all of your problems.
As a trusted computer repair company, NerdsToGo remains dedicated to helping our customers maximize their technology in the safest way possible, through this difficult time and beyond. For more information about how to clean your phone screen or to speak to one of our smartphone repair specialists, contact us today! We’re happy to answer all of your questions and offer tailored recommendations to fit your needs.